Nov 10, 2010

In the begining

Beer is one of the world's oldest beverages, with the history of beer dating back to the 6th millennium BC. The earliest Sumerian writings contain references to beer. A prayer to the goddess Ninkasi known as "The Hymn to Ninkasi" serves as both a prayer as well as a method of remembering the recipe for beer in a culture with few literate people. 5000 year old documents have been found in China referencing a beer like substance called "kui", and in ancient Mesopotamia beer was a common drink that brought the town together. In Mesopotamia beer was a very important cultural status symbol. People would gather around clay jars filled with beer, individuals would have jewel encrusted golden straws to drink the beer from. The more elaborate the straw meant the higher class citizen you were, similar to how in today's society we drive fancy cars or wear designer clothes.
Beer started as mainly a domestic operation, and stayed that way for thousands of years. With woman being the "brew masters" in the domestic household the operation of making the beer wasn't what it is today. Today it seems to be a primarily male dominated business, however many women have been starting home brewing for themselves and some have or are trying to get a foot in and compete with the major brewers of the world! Rhonda Kallman is one of those women trying to get an edge on the monster breweries.


Home brewing has become one of my favorite hobbies over the past year, for many reasons. One of those reasons is my love of history and from this brief post you can see beer has a huge history. Brewing beer gives the brewer a sense of satisfaction. The satisfaction of creating something of his/her own, and creating something that has such a rich history that one can be a part of. Making something that can bring people together, and even bring enemies together and make a peace between nations, family, and friends. I love brewing beer! And one day I hope to start my own successful brewery, and I hope that you will follow me on this journey as I review and create beers, and give you, the reader something interesting to read. Have a good night and God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Glad your carrying on the tradition of women brewers! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I like what randy said. but seriously any time you need someone to try one of your beers, you know who to call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually looking for someone to write a review on my last brew. The Three Horsemen (pumpkin porter)! Nothing too long, but I'd like a minimum of 2 paragraphs. There will be 2 16oz brews (on top of the initial taster) in it for whoever writes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or call me, I'm anonymous too!

    ReplyDelete