Nov 21, 2010

Oaktoberfest-Firestone Walker Brewery Review

So the season for Oktoberfest brews is coming to an end. This is a sad time of year for those of us who have come to know the delicious festival beers, like the Oktoberfest. I was recently at my local bar The Hungry Monk in Chandler AZ enjoying a meal with a friend and I saw that they have an Oktoberfest still on tap, which I believe is probably one of the last in this whole city I'm sad to say. The brew they had on tap was the Oaktoberfest (Oktoberfest/Marzen) with an ABV 4.5% by Firestone Walker brewery based out of Paso Robles, CA. Now, to this point in my life I have never gone wrong by ordering an Oktoberfest beer, but I was very disappointed with the bland flavors this one had. If I had to compare this brew with anything it would be on the same level as an anheuser busch...well anything of theirs! And maybe the picture in this post. Firestone describes this beer as a medium amber with a malt focus and oaky finish. I did not taste anything of the sort! I tasted a very light in taste and color beer that didn't prove to hit my pallet in anyway special. You may disagree, and obviously the people who rated this beer at my bar disagreed and they rated it a B+. For an Oktoberfest brew, I would give this beer my lowest score of all the beers I've reviewed to this point at a D+. The only reason I would suggest trying this beer is for anyone that wants to know what an Oktoberfest beer should not taste like.

No comments:

Post a Comment